Netnograhy?? what does that mean?? -_-‘ I am seeing this word more and more on the internet, that’s why I decided to investigate a little bit more about this research technique.
Wikipedia says :
“Netnography is the branch of ethnography that analyses the free behaviour of individuals on the Internet that uses online marketing research techniques to provide useful insights. The word “netnography” comes from “Inter[net]” and “eth[nography]” and was a process and term coined by Dr. Robert V. Kozinets. As a method, “netnography” can be faster, simpler, and less expensive than ethnography, and more naturalistic and unobtrusive than focus groups or interviews. “
Let’s go a bit deeper…
Your customer is at the center of your marketing strategy. Your brand and your customers have a relationship together, and they talk about it, Online! The customers are the media, and they are doing the work! Happy Days! Listen to your consumers, understand the market can all be done online. All the Social Networks are a big platform to follow the online conversations…A few tips about What to do :
1/ Use the Social Media
- Animate and maintain a discussion with your customers on your Fan Page, get their opinion and engage with them.
- Co-create, Collaborate. Ask them their point of view, organise a challenge, ask them to vote and choose.
- Listen to what they say, follow their thought on Twitter, #whatdoyouthink.
- Create a focus group on Linkedin.
2/ Use web analytics tools
- Google is your friend. Use Google Insights, Google trends to see what are they interested in.
- Trendistic. That will help you to know what do they say about you on Twitter, the general sentiment about your brand.
- Social Mention and Klout will give you an overview of your brand influence …
These are a few tools you can use and they are all free! It’s a reason why netnography is so successful, It’s really appreciated by the small businesses because you can do a lot for free… The most important is to know how to use all the data, how to convert these informations into insights and consumer profile.